My Top Five Superfoods
I absolutely love my superfoods. They are what they say: super foods. Each one is brimming with nutrients that make me feel alive and my cells jump for joy. I love their vibrant colours and how they can very easily nutrient-pack a smoothie or a meal.
My top five superfoods
- Cacao – No surprises there, as most of you know how much I love this magnesium rich superfood! It’s brimming molecules of bliss that make you feel happy and full of life. It also contains PEA (phenylethylamine), which is the substance released when we are in love. That is where the saying comes from that chocolate is better than sex!
- Maca – This grows up the mountains in Peru and is said to give you the energy to go and collect it. This is an adaptogen, so it helps bring your body back into balance. It loves to dance with your body and balance your hormones and stamina – and I think most of us need a bit of that these days.
- Suma – I nickname this root powder ‘rocket fuel’, as you only need a small amount to really get you going. This also acts like an adaptogen in your body and focuses on rebalancing your energy levels and relighting that fire inside of you.
- Baobab – Many people call this the poor person’s camu, camu, but I feel that comparison does not serve its purpose, as baobab is a superfood in its own right. It is brimming with Vitamin C and adds a delicious citrus flavour to whatever you might be making.
- Reishi – This mushroom is known as the healer of the colon. Its other name is ‘Queen of the Forest’, as it helps to remind us that we are part of nature.
You can purchase all of these delicious superfoods from Detox Trading
A simple quick easy way to incorporate superfoods into your daily routine is in a smoothie. I regularly have the smoothie below, which contains all of my favourite superfoods and feels like a meal in a glass. You body will keep asking for food until it has all the nutrients it needs, so that is why a superfood packed smoothie is so filling – you are giving the body all those nutrients it needs.
- 350ml unsweetened almond mylk
- 1 avocado
- 2 teaspoons of cacao
- 1 teaspoon of mava
- 1/3 teaspoon suma
- 1 teaspoon baobab powder
- 1 teaspoon of Reishi powder
- 1 teaspoon MCT oil
- 1 teaspoon yacon syrup
Try out this smoothie and let me know what you think. Are there any other superfoods that you use daily? Share in the comments below and spread the superfood love…
Remember, if this post tickles your taste-buds then please feel free to share with friends and family.